Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pro-tip from a Frugal Fashionista

I want to preface this post with a disclaimer, so here you go.

DISCLAIMER: I firmly believe journalists should remain objective in their reporting and independent in their jobs. However, I also believe that journalists do have a personal life and beliefs, and I'm completely fine with them having a bias as long as they're transparent about it. There you go. I clearly do believe this because I just stated my own beliefs on a journalistic blog.

As a human being, I believe in 2 things when conducting my life:
1) The green/natural movement. I'm a big fan of natural energy (solar, wind, water, etc.) and natural foods (avoid the processed meat!). I want to leave a tiny carbon footprint.
2) Helping other people/the environment with my choices. I don't like to exhaust resources, and I'm a sucker for giving money to people or causes that help other people. (Just ask me about my two favorite solo musical artists right now.)

Having said that, I must make a case to all of you young journalistas...or listos, if you're male...? Either way, it's all inclusive.

If your journalism classes are anything like mine, you know our future is iffy at best. There are dozens of applicants for one position - a position that may not even be around in a few years. We want to have an edge - in the newsroom, at networking events and during the interview.

To get said edge, appearance is key. If no one has stressed this to you yet, allow me to do so now, as my mentors did. "Dress for the job you want, not the job you have."

Now I know what you're thinking- "Uh, Rachel, that's all fine and dandy to say, but eventually, I want to be an executive. I can't blow my part-time job's paychecks that I need for rent on a nice wardrobe." And I totally agree. Believe me. And I don't even pay rent!

My secret? THRIFTING.

I know. I know. That's below you. All the thrift stores are full of '80s pant suits and ugly Christmas sweaters. Plus, the clothes are ratty and possibly infested with bed bugs. Only dead-beat parents on welfare shop there. I've heard it all.

But you know who donates to thrift stores? Often the middle and upper classes. Heck, MY family donates to them when we outgrow things.

But I also buy clothes from them. I'm a self-proclaimed Goodwill addict. (I actually preferred the Village Discount Outlet, but that's now sadly closed.)

Let's get off your high horse and do the math for a second...
Typical work week is 5 days, so you'll need a different shirt for each day. $20 each at a cheap brand-name store...or a sale. $100.
And you'd literally be wearing the SAME shirts every week. Not so good for keeping a professional reputation.
Compare to thrifting. My Goodwill shirts are generally $5 each. That's $25 per week of clothes. This week, I managed to buy some items half-price as part of a manager's special. $12.50 per week of clothes. At least one shirt still had its original tag. (The original version of regifting clothes you didn't want.) Many items were name brands I could never afford otherwise. I've bought New York & Company, Gap, Express, etc.
Plus, I didn't have to exhaust more resources or labor creating a new shirt, AND my money goes to a good cause.
For the record, I also have gotten multiple compliments at work for having "cute outfits" or looking "extra-dressy/classy today." Yeah, that's right. People usually can't tell the difference. Win-win.

So, to conclude, pro-tips for thrifting:
- Check store websites for special promotions. If you're going to stretch your dollars, better make it count.
- Before you go, decide what you're looking for. There will be a TON of racks to go through that are often only vaguely organized, so I'd recommend only looking for a few choice pieces that coordinate with pieces you already own.
- Check quality! Sometimes pieces DO have small holes, ripped stitching or missing buttons that either workers don't catch or apparently don't care about.
- Try everything on. Thrift stores are just like any other store. Some things look good on you; others don't.

I've let you in on my secret. I hope it keeps you fabulous! Happy thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment